July 22, 2013

So Many Happy Memories

Last Wednesday I shared this sneak of some supplies I had pulled for a new layout:


It took me a while to start working on it for two reasons.  First, my initial sketch ideas all seemed to gravitate towards designs that work best with portrait oriented photos and my photo was landscape oriented.  Second, I wanted a design that had flow and avoided the boxy feeling (I've been working with a lot of squares lately, it seems).  Then I realised I could adapt one of the sketches from Shimelle's Hitchhiker's Guide to Scrapbooking by using a large doily and after that, everything fell into place.


When I put these papers together, I immediately thought of using this photo.  I didn't even remember what the colours were, although it was probably a sub-conscious realisation.  I also wanted to use this lovely, bold floral paper from Oxford Lane.  I'm not one to often use floral designs - I'm more of a geometric girl - but it's so pretty and I like a challenge so I cut it into a circle to lay inside the doily.  I wanted to cover the seam between the paper and doily but didn't have any great ribbon choices so I decided to hand stitch using a fancier embroidery stitch - the chain stitch.  It adds such wonderful texture and dimension to the page and really draws in your eye - here's a detail shot:


I also thought I would carry the floral theme into the embellishments - also not something I normally do but I was recently sent some pretty Martha Stewart large flower embellishments and I have a few flowers left in my stash I thought I would use up.  In the end, I didn't use either of those but instead used this pretty fabric flower, which I paired with a felt bracket that I cut up to look like extra leaves.  I also painted some gold Stickles into the flower's center and leaves to liven up the white space inside the flower.


As it turns out, EP's Here & Now collection actually matches the turquoise, lime and yellows of Oxford Lane quite well so I used the element stickers to embellish a second cluster on the diagonal.  I liked how the cloud stickers had floral motifs in them, then added some arrows and butterflies.  I added more gold Stickles to the large yellow butterfly and to some random dots on the floral background paper.


I wanted to keep the rest of the page simple and airy so I used a banner strip for the title, ran a little embroidery floss along it and used a label to contain my journaling.  I also stamped the date and a sentiment along the right border and then drew a fine doodling line around the other three sides, because the design was feeling like it lacked grounding.

Want to try chain stitching on your pages, too?  I made a short video to help show you how.


Now, if you like the look of the chain stitching and also like to hand stitch on your pages but have only used the running and/or back stitches, I would encourage you to try some more decorative stitches!  They really add pizzazz to a page and while they often look complicated, many are in fact very simple and transfer well to paper stitching.  You can find a plethora of embroidery stitch photo tutorials from Sarah's Hand Embroidery Tutorials and here are a half dozen beginner level stitches to get you started:



Arrow Head Stitches



Blanket Stitches


Thanks for joining me today and I hope I've inspired you to try some stitching on your next page and if you do, I'd love to see it.

10 comments:

  1. This is incredible. I love how you chain stitched around the flower. It's the perfect touch. I'll have to get back to do that myself. At one time I could not stop using the blanket stitch on the borders of my paper. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty layout and great post ! I love handstitched titles and sometimes use the whipped running stitch (great result with twine !) but you inspired me to try the chevron one !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a pretty page, Cindy! I love the doily and stitching! I usually stick with a basic straight stitch but you've inspired me to give some of these a try.

    ReplyDelete
  4. really pretty page and all of the info about hand stitching is great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great page, and thanks for the stitching tutorial. I'm just too lazy to hand stitch on my pages so I usually stick to machine stitching. Might have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous layout! I need to try adding one of those fancy stitches to a page.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so beautiful and that chain stitching is perfect..love all of it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a really beautiful page and photo. Thanks for the embroidery inspiration:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. YES! You have inspired me! Thank you so very much! I love the chain stitch! This layout is just amazing in all ways! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very pretty!! And the stitching is gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete