August 28, 2013

WIP Wednesday

Recently I've been focusing on smaller projects - mostly scrapbooking, as I typically do an entire LO from start to finish in the same day.  However, like many crafters, I have many UFOs patiently waiting to be finished so today I thought I would share one with you.

London Love Jelly Roll Race Quilt

If you're a quilter, you'll know about jelly rolls, but have you heard about jelly roll races?  A fellow quilter friend introduced me to the idea and all we could say was 'SUCH FUN!'  Check out this YouTube video showing a quilt guild in action on a jelly roll race day:


In a nutshell, the idea is that you take the 40 pre-cut strips from a jelly roll and sew all 40 of them together, end to end, using a bias join.  Now, before you go any further, cut off 18" from one of the ends of your strip - only do this ONCE!  Next, take the two ends of your giant stripe (minus 18") and with right sides matching, sew the lengths together - when you get to the end, cut the fold.  Repeat this process for a total of 5 times (or get to the size you want).  The great fun - or at least I think so - is that the pattern is completely random and you don't know what exactly you'll get until the very end!

Here's how my completed quilt top turned out:


And here's a closer shot with better lighting:


Next step is to add borders, buy some backing fabric and decide on a quilting pattern.  Suggestions are welcome - I really haven't decided how to quilt it at all yet.

Like the jelly roll race idea and want to try your own?  Check out this YouTube video by Missouri Quilt Co. - it provides accurate and easy instructions and this gal is just a hoot!


And if you make your own, I'd love to hear about it!

5 comments:

  1. I've never done one of these, but am now wanting to try one. I loved the William Tell Overture in the background as you were sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome quilt - wish I could sew :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Look great! I wish I had courage to try quilting too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so have to try one of these Jelly Roll Quilts one day soon. They look so fun to make.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the fabrics you used for this quilt. The striped one makes the combination of fabrics modern and fresh. very nice!

    ReplyDelete