August 07, 2013

Box Time Fun

So it's suppose to be WIP Wednesday today but I'm pleased to say that after a week or more of doing nothing creative (or nothing of anything, really), I actually have a completed project to share with you.  Hurrah!


If you've been following Shimelle's blog recently, you'll know that she's been on a real vertical design kick and has a number of fun challenges and sketches up and that combination is what helped to get me going on this LO.  I wanted to have a go at this sketch and remembered I had these cool Instagram photos of Oskar.  I also realised it was the perfect opportunity to use this CP kraft chevron paper - like many scrappers, I bought it based on the preview photo that uses the white-based paper from the paper pad collection and was horribly disappointed with how dark it is once I had it in hand.  I remembered wondering how/when I would ever use this paper that I didn't really like but it works perfectly for a story about boxes and now, I actually love it!  Okay, love might be a bit too much but I really like how it works here.


The patterned papers are Plum Seed by Webster's Pages, a collection that was carried (although not in full) at the local Panduro a few months ago and I challenged myself to buy and use these papers.  I haven't cut into them much so again, I was pleased to be able to use them more and I love how they not only work so well with the kraft but they perfectly compliment the slightly over-exposed, muted colours and undertones from the photos.


For my embellishment clusters I used some lime green accents.  My mum calls injecting this sort of 'odd' colour into a palette 'the poison' - there's something just slightly jarring about it that actually works to pull the whole piece together.  Later I realised the lime green matches that of Oskar's eyes, something that my brain must have recognised on a sub-conscious level.  Serendipity again - love it.


I also realised after completing the LO that I used the chevron paper 'up-side-down' from how I would normally use it to help draw in the viewer's eye.  Meaning, the points are leading up rather than down.  Whoops.  Nothing I can do about that now but I think it still works.  I also used one of the Jilliebean Soup wise word stickers and some black enamel dots that I received as a recent Stash Busters prize.