July 12, 2014

Vintage Bliss Cards

Welcome back!

In my last post I shared a new kit I made from my stash supplies, called 'Squeeze' - a collection of bright citrus oranges, yellows, lime greens and a few hot pinks with kraft and wood grain neutrals.

Now, despite having pulled this yummy new kit, I sort of went in a different direction with some very long over-due cards I've been putting off making.  While going through my stash, I pulled out this Simple Stories Vintage Bliss sticker sheet:

Vintage Bliss

I've barely touched it so far and decided it was high time I started using it so I grabbed some card bases and got to work and whipped up two cards.

The first card is a very belated Mother's Day card for my mum.  Originally I had started this card months ago - can't even remember what for now - but didn't get any further than adhering the patterned paper to the card base, then just couldn't seem to decide on a direction for it and set it aside.  Having been on a crafting hiatus for a while now, I decided to keep things a bit simple.

Mum - You Fill My World with Sunshine

Sometimes it's nice to have non-conventional sentiments, which is why I chose the banner.  I added the flowers and played with where to place them until I discovered how nicely the 'M' fit into a gap in them.  Then added the circle at the end of the banner and clustered a few little hearts there.  Finally, I added rhinestones to the centers of three of the flowers and then balanced those with a single rhinestone on the topmost heart.  As a finishing touch, I doodled some lines around the edges to ground the design.

Now, if you thought Mother's Day back in May was bad for being behind, you'll absolutely cringe when I tell you that this next card is an extremely belated birthday card for my Granny - whose birthday was in April!  Eek!  Bad granddaughter!  I know she won't have minded and she'll like getting a card regardless so I made one anyway.

So this second card combines the Vintage Bliss sticker sheet with some October Afternoon products - a journaling card, which I had thought to use on another project a while back, inked the edges and then changed my mind, and some mini market letter stickers.  I also threw in a MME label sticker.

Oh So Happy Birthday

I found the yellow gingham paper in my scrap basket, then noticed that the blue label would fit perfectly inside the journaling card (and that the colours worked well with the sticker sheet) but I decided to off-set the card and label for more visual interest and to keep a more playful feeling.  A little washi tape to ground the grouping, added the vase of flowers sticker and wrapped a bit of embroidery floss into a bow around it.  Layered on the phrase label sticker and the letter stickers for the sentiment and finished it off with a little tab and a cluster of flowers and rhinestones.  I really enjoyed working with the pink, orange and turquoise colour palette and I like how the gingham is reminiscent of a country table cloth with a vase of flowers centerpiece (or is that just me?)...

Now, just another seven more cards I'm behind on making left to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment