April 25, 2014

Happy Candles Birthday Card

Happy Friday!

I've slowly been whittling away at my to-make list of cards and nothing motivates me like a suddenly looming deadline (I blame my mum for that trait).  So, the night before we all went out to celebrate Ingrid's birthday, there I was whipping up this little card for her:


I have to say, for a 'quick and dirty' card, I just love how fun and cheery this turned out.  A couple of rows of pretty washi tape layered with some paper straws I had cut down to size and glued twine 'wicks' into; a little splattering of gold lamé mist and probably my favourite part: a sprinkling of coloured rhinestones, which have been sitting in my stash unused for at least two years now, put to good use!  A little stamping at the bottom finished things off.

I must admit, though, I didn't get to this design immediately.  First I thought I'd use some printed acrylic flower and butterfly shapes, layered up on white cardstock.  Then I decided to make a watercolour wash with some gold lamé splatters on the background.  Then I contemplated using some 3D butterflies (as seen here on the purple card at the bottom).  All the while having this design rolling around at the back of my head.  In the end I decided to abandon the acrylic shapes idea because it was becoming too drawn out and fussy and I needed something that would come together quickly and easily (Wednesday was not a good day for me).  Just goes to show you should always go with your gut instinct.

That being said, the bit of craft therapy this little card provided significantly improved the horrendous exhaustion I'd been battling all day - you know the kind that actually hurts and makes you feel like you're going to vomit?  Well, after playing around with my craft supplies for perhaps an hour, I felt worlds better.  So there you go - the next time you're feeling icky, break out your craft goodies, whatever they may be, and see if you don't feel better once you're done.  Beats the heck out of pain killers!

No comments:

Post a Comment